Critics say scrapping of plans, which aimed to increase judge-alone trials to deliver swifter justice, leaves court system and victims vulnerable Ministers have scrapped plans that would have slashed the number of jury trials in England and Wales and replaced them with a judge sitting alone. The proposals had sparked a fierce backlash from lawyers , who have welcomed the U-turn. But the victims’ commissioner expressed concern about the abandonment of measures drawn up by the then justice secretary, David Lammy, under Keir Starmer’s government, to tackle the record backlog in the courts. Continue reading... from The Guardian https://ift.tt/ajrMJT4 via IFTTT
I was scared, out of my depth in the water and out, but I was there. The hope and the welcome propelled me along
On my morning walks, I used to look at the older, pink-capped women swimming in the ocean and project myself decades into my future.
“One day I’ll be a mermaid”, I hoped, as I watched the Morning Mermaids swimming group in the golden light. “I’ll live near the sea, and throw myself into it. I’ll leave behind my self-conscious shame, I’ll be me, I’ll be at one with the watery world.” Coming from a non-swimmer, this was quite the fantasy.
Continue reading...from The Guardian https://ift.tt/sotH9pJ
via IFTTT
Comments
Post a Comment