Critics say scrapping of plans, which aimed to increase judge-alone trials to deliver swifter justice, leaves court system and victims vulnerable Ministers have scrapped plans that would have slashed the number of jury trials in England and Wales and replaced them with a judge sitting alone. The proposals had sparked a fierce backlash from lawyers , who have welcomed the U-turn. But the victims’ commissioner expressed concern about the abandonment of measures drawn up by the then justice secretary, David Lammy, under Keir Starmer’s government, to tackle the record backlog in the courts. Continue reading... from The Guardian https://ift.tt/ajrMJT4 via IFTTT
When I had a baby I planned for my new offline, mother-self to merge with my old selves: writer and reader. How far off reality was
In late 2021, two apparently unconnected but nonetheless major, to me, events occurred.
One, a now infamous New Yorker profile of the actor Jeremy Strong was published. Two, I gave birth.
Continue reading...from The Guardian https://ift.tt/BqdP2L6
via IFTTT
Comments
Post a Comment