Skip to main content

The best cordless vacuum cleaners for a spotless home: 10 tried and tested favourites

Stick vacuums are a convenient alternative to corded designs, but which model wins for overall cleaning prowess? Our expert reveals all • The best robot vacuums to keep your home clean and dust free Choosing a cordless vacuum isn’t a decision that should be taken lightly. You’re likely to keep a vacuum cleaner for years, relying heavily on its ability to suck up dust, crumbs, mud, pet hair and any other dry spillages or sheddings that end up on your floor. Choosing the right model can be the difference between an effective cleaner that’s a delight to pull out of the cupboard and a dud that you dread having to unblock, detangle and clean after every use. In this review, I took 10 of the leading cordless vacuum cleaners from a range of manufacturers and at various prices and inflicted the same cleaning tests on each one. That takes all the guesswork out of picking your next cleaner: I can tell you exactly which ones picked up the most mess. Best cordless vacuum cleaner overall: Shar...

Ukraine war briefing: Zelenskiy’s army of drones gets its own commander

Ukrainians claim hits on air defences in occupied Crimea; US, Poland and allies launch taskforce to counter Russian disinformation. What we know on day 839

Ukraine announced the appointment of Vadym Sukharevskyi as commander of drone forces, a newly created post. Sukharevskyi was already a deputy commander of the armed forces with responsibility for drones. Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, decreed in February the creation of a separate branch of the armed forces devoted to drones and the order was endorsed last week by the government.

Ukraine’s military said it damaged three surface-to-air defence systems in Russian-occupied Crimea over Monday night. Missiles struck an S400 system in Dzhankoi and two S300 systems near Yevpatoriya and Chornomorske, resulting in “significant losses” for Russian air defences, Ukraine’s general staff said.

The Ukrainians claimed responsibility for an attack on the Novoshakhtinsk refinery in southern Russia on 5 June. “According to intelligence reports, as a result of the strike, the invaders lost 1.5m metric tonnes of oil and petroleum products, which amounts to about $540m,” said a statement issued by the Ukrainian military’s general staff. The Rostov governor, Vasily Golubev, told Interfax news agency that operations at Novoshakhtinsk suffered “significant disruptions” after a fire following a drone attack.

Ukraine may keep some of the F-16 fighter jets it is set to receive from its western allies at foreign bases to protect them from Russian strikes, said Serhii Holubtsov, head of aviation within Ukraine’s air force.

The US and Poland on Monday launched a multinational group based in Warsaw to counter Russian disinformation on the war in Ukraine. James Rubin, US special envoy, said the Ukraine Communications Group would involve around a dozen western representatives working to “promote accurate reporting of Russia’s full-scale invasion, amplify Ukrainian voices and expose Kremlin information manipulation”.

Nearly 90 countries and organisations, half from Europe, have confirmed attending the Swiss-hosted Ukraine peace summit over the weekend despite Russia’s refusal to participate in the conference, Switzerland’s president said.
Viola Amherd told reporters in the Swiss capital that the summit, on Saturday and Sunday, will aim to chart a path toward possible peace nearly 28 months after Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

Zelenskiy arrived in Germany for a conference on Ukraine’s postwar recovery and talks with the German chancellor, Olaf Scholz. Zelenskiy said measures concerning Ukraine’s energy sector, damaged by Russian air attacks, would be the priority, as well as continued military support, including air defences and joint manufacture of munitions, and the coordination of positions ahead of the “peace summit” to be hosted by Switzerland later in the week.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/Tv5cYqB
via IFTTT

Comments

PlayStation 5 shot

Sports news, Tech, lifestyle & Anime

Popular posts from this blog

Russia-Ukraine war at a glance: what we know on day 723

Ukraine troops reinforce Avdiivka as some defenders withdraw to better positions; lack of US aid already affecting battlefield, says Nato chief See all our Ukraine war coverage US congressional delaying of fresh military aid for Ukraine is already having an impact on the battlefield, Nato’s secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, has warned at a defence ministers’ meeting. Jens Stoltenberg said he still believed Congress would eventually approve the stalled $60bn (£50bn) package. Ukraine has said its economy should be rebuilt using frozen Russian assets after a report showed the cost of reconstruction increasing to almost $500bn . An estimated $300bn of Russian assets have been frozen since the war started. The EU, US and western allies are debating how they can be used to benefit Ukraine. Ukraine is conducting a manoeuvre in Avdiivka to withdraw troops in some areas to “more advantageous positions”, a military spokesman said. At the same time, Ukraine has brought in reinforceme...

despite their heroic victory against Honduras, Les Bleuets are eliminated for a small goal

After a disastrous start to the competition marked by two defeats against South Korea (2-1) and Gambia (2-1), Les Bleuets faced Honduras. A decisive match for Landry Chauvin’s players who played their survival during this third and last day of the group stage of group F of the U20 World Cup which is currently taking place in Argentina. While the two teams went blow for blow with hot situations on both sides of the field, Ousmane Camara was sent off just before the end of the first quarter of an hour following a foul on Daniel Carter. The young French shoots were therefore already at ten after only 15 short minutes of play (13th). After this fault and the expulsion of the French defender, Honduras had a good free kick full axis near the French surface. What’s next after this ad Odin Ramos then sent a missile into the right corner of Thimothée Lo-Tutala, beaten (15th, 1-0). Les Bleuets took a real blow on the head with this opener and it was necessary to wait several minutes before...

PSG wants Mbappé its confirmed

Learning that Kylian Mbappé did not want to extend to PSG made the Parisian leaders sweat. A player agent has just confirmed it. The showdown would therefore be very real between Kylian Mbappé and PSG. The leaders of the French champion club would have been surprised at the decision of their best player not to extend beyond June 30, 2024. ” I spoke with people close to the Qatari family who run the club and they told me they were very angry confided Marco Kirdemir to brand in comments reported by RMC Sports. They had confidence in the fact that he was going to extend. The emir is very upset . » Read also – PSG: Mbappé in Liverpool, the crazy offer at 300 million Two weeks ago, this players’ agent assured that Mbappé would wear the Real Madrid shirt next season. This same Marco Kirdemir conceded, still to brand that the Spanish club was not the only one in the ranks. The attitude of the Parisian leaders had already been reported by the French press two weeks ago, in the hour...

‘History makers’: elated Elokobi says Maidstone deserve ‘every bit of glory’

Stones’ manager hails ‘historic’ FA Cup win over Ipswich ‘Absolutely amazing celebrations … The gods were with us’ George Elokobi urged his “history makers” to enjoy their extraordinary achievement after Maidstone United reached the FA Cup fifth round for the first time. The National League South club won their seventh match in this season’s competition to dump Ipswich out at Portman Road. Continue reading... from The Guardian https://ift.tt/hS4i0J8 via IFTTT

Ukraine war briefing: Bomb shatters historic landmark in Kharkiv

Prized Derzhprom building in Kharkiv damaged in attacks injuring 19; North Korean foreign minister heads to Russia as Nato chief says Kim Jong-un’s troops are in Kursk. What we know on day 979 See all our Ukraine war coverage A Russian guided bomb attack on Kharkiv on Monday shattered much of the Derzhprom building, one of the most celebrated landmarks in Ukraine’s second city , dating from the 1920s and noted by Unesco. Six people were injured in the 9pm strike, adding to 13 wounded in an earlier overnight bomb attack on the city. Eight were hurt in a rocket attack in the city of Chuhuiv just to the south-east, officials said. In the central Ukrainian city of Kryvyi Rih, a Russian missile struck a three-storey residential building, killing one person and wounding at least 11 . Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Ukraine’s president, deplored the attack on his home town, as well as on Kharkiv, and called for renewed efforts to force Vladimir Putin to halt the war. In the southern Kherson reg...

Australian women’s football: a century ago they fought for the right to play – and 10,000 people turned out to watch

After secret training sessions in a dimly lit gym, the Reds and the Blues set a crowd record that lasted 96 years The Gabba is better known for hosting Ashes Tests , the Brisbane Lions, and the odd Adele concert . But on 24 September 1921, the Brisbane cricket ground hosted one of the most significant fixtures in Australian women’s football history – the first representative match. The Queensland Football Association (QFA), the tightly clenched men’s state governing body, had taken no small amount of convincing to include women’s teams on their match-day card. However, funds raised from the estimated turnout, newspapers report about 10,000, certainly eased their torment. That would remain a record crowd for a women’s match in Australia for nearly a century, when the Matildas defeated Brazil at a sold out Penrith stadium with 17,000 watching on in 2017. The women got a cut of gate takings too – their £90 share is the first recognised income for women’s football in Australia. Continue...

Ukraine war briefing: Villages locked down in Putin’s Belgorod ‘sanitary zone’

Czech ammunition factory for Ukraine; Baltic states to cut electrical grid ties with Russia and Belarus. What we know on day 875 Russia has been forced to lock down 14 border villages in its Belgorod region due to the Ukrainian fightback against Russian attacks on the Kharkiv region across the border. “From July 23 we are restricting access to 14 residential settlements where the operational situation is extremely difficult,” said the Belgorod governor, Vyacheslav Gladkov. Vladimir Putin launched a May ground offensive on the north-eastern Kharkiv region that he said was intended to create a buffer or “sanitary zone” to protect the Belgorod region but it has instead come under continued shelling and drone attacks from Ukraine, with frequent fatalities, while Russian successes in the Kharkiv region have been limited. The chief of Russia’s general staff, Valery Gerasimov, thanked Russian forces on Tuesday for capturing the village of Urozhaine in Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region, R...

Neymar: He sends a punchline to the new PSG coach!

Graduated from the School of Journalism in Paris. Specialized in football, and more particularly on the transfer window. Fan of PSG and Stade Français. Expected by PSG, Luis Enrique is preparing to be appointed as coach in place of Christophe Galtier this summer. The Spanish coach has already convinced Neymar and Marco Verratti to stay at the Parc des Princes this summer, but Daniel Riolo wonders about it and issues a warning to PSG. It’s no longer a secret, Luis Enrique will be the next coach of the PSG and an agreement has been reached between the Spanish technician and the management of the capital club, which has already programmed the departure of Christopher Galtier . As L’EQUIPE revealed on Tuesday, Enrique would already have a strong impact on the transfer window of the PSG since Neymar And Marco Verratti who were initially announced on the departure, would have finally decided to stay at the Parc des Princes with this appointment of Luis Enrique who greatly ap...

Should I validate my teen daughters’ concerns, or support their father as a co-parent? | Leading questions

This is a common parenting dilemma, writes advice columnist Eleanor Gordon-Smith . Find a way to hear your daughters without turning this into a proxy-fight Is it more important to validate and empathise with my teens about their difficult relationship with their dad, stepmum and stepbrother; or support him as a co-parent, even though I can see the damage it is doing? I have two teenage daughters, 14 and 16, who have a fractious relationship with their dad and his family. He approaches parenting in an authoritarian way and I can see the negative impact this has on our daughters’ self-esteem and self worth. They are delightful young people and I am very proud of how thoughtful, intelligent and individual they are – the horror stories of parenting teens are not something that I have to worry about and I have an open, respectful relationship with them. Because of this, they often come to me, together and separately, about the problems they have with their dad, stepmum and stepbrother. ...