Pike, sentenced to death over 1995 murder, had been granted stay of execution earlier on Wednesday The US supreme court is allowing Tennessee’s first execution of a woman in 200 years to go forward, vacating a last-minute stay issued by a lower court earlier in the day. Christa Pike, who was convicted of murder 30 years ago, was initially scheduled to die by lethal injection on Wednesday morning until her execution was halted hours earlier by a federal appeals court. In a 2-1 ruling, that court said the delay was necessary to assess whether Pike’s allegations of childhood sexual abuse were fully considered at her sentencing. The state governor and the supreme court had earlier refused calls for clemency. Continue reading... from The Guardian https://ift.tt/GqUpP4Z via IFTTT
I have been an AI researcher for 40 years. What tech giants are doing to book publishing is akin to theft | Toby Walsh
Companies claim this is ‘fair use’. I think it’s a digital heist
Australia’s close-knit literary community – from writers and agents through to the Australian Society of Authors – have reacted with outrage. Black Inc, the publisher of the Quarterly Essay as well as fiction and nonfiction books by many prominent writers, had asked consent from its authors to train AI models on their work and then share the revenue with those authors.
Now I have a dog in this race. Actually two dogs. I have published four books with Black Inc, have a fifth coming out next month, and have a contract for a sixth by the end of the year. And I have also been an AI researcher for 40 years, training AI models with data.
Continue reading...from The Guardian https://ift.tt/xcYLFml
via IFTTT
Comments
Post a Comment