Director Paloma Schneideman explores issues of consent and queerness in coming-of-age film set in New Zealand In Big Girls Don’t Cry, the New Zealand coming-of-age film quietly devastating film festivals, there is a scene on a moonlit beach. It features the main character, Sid, played by Ani Palmer, and one of the cool older city boys who has come to the small, golden-sand town of Ōmaha for the summer. It is a deeply relatable, deeply uncomfortable watch; reliving the teenage negotiation – or not – of consent feels unsettling and validating. “Yeah, an 18-year-old at the screening last night said, ‘I feel so seen and exposed,” director and writer Paloma Schneideman, 34, says. “I was like, whoa, that’s quite an astute way to think about it. One is cathartic and healing, and the other is quite confronting.” Continue reading... from The Guardian https://ift.tt/jXEyKTC via IFTTT
The opposition Taiwan People’s party stands by founder Ko Wen-je despite sentence, alleging prosecutors were pressured by ruling DPP party
Opposition figure Ko Wen-je put on a defiant display in front of tens of thousands of supporters outside Taiwan’s Presidential Office, two days after being handed a 17-year prison sentence on corruption charges.
“I will not yield! I will not surrender!” Ko shouted on Sunday in Taipei, as he turned towards the grand, red-brick Japanese colonial-era building in order to directly address President Lai Ching-te.
Continue reading...from The Guardian https://ift.tt/cbk9uJC
via IFTTT
Comments
Post a Comment